Monday, September 24, 2012

My domain name has become a lie. I am so busy!

Wow. Life picked up big time. I have been so busy! I feel like this is the first time I've sat still in weeks. I've been working three or four days a week. Things are ramping up with The Picture and the Frame. I'm trying to fundraise for the album. And if that wasn't enough, I moved in with my boyfriend. Figuring out how to fit two people's stuff into a one bedroom apartment has been challenging to say the least. We were going to wait until the end of October, but we decided to just go for it, so I've spent the past couple weeks packing and schlepping. I have to be out of my apartment by the 30th of this month, so I've been doing as much as I can on my days off and even after work in the evening. Yikes!  As you can imagine, pretty much everything else has disappeared for a little while.

I'm actually in a pretty good place with the moving process. All my stuff is in the new place, and it's mostly all put away, but I'm down to the odds and ends that don't have a place yet. I even registered to vote at my new address!


I just realized it's been a month since my last post. Well, I knew I'd be inhumanly busy before too long. The heat finally broke in LA, and it's so nice. Moving furniture in 100+ degree heat was not my favorite, and it led to a little tension between Alex and I.

We both needed a break really badly, so our long weekend in New Hampshire could not have come at a better time. We flew into Providence on Thursday, and stayed the night at his mom's place in Niantic, CT. We had a little birthday party for Alex, and stayed up late drinking wine by the fire pit outside. In the morning Alex showed me around his little seaside hamlet. We had breakfast at a coffee shop called Sol, and then trawled around the Book Barn for a while.


They should call it Book Wonderland

A whole bazaar of books!

It even has a garden, and lots of friendly cats

And the New England-y-est kids play area ever

I was so charmed. Alex bought a copy of "Leaves of Grass," and then we had to boogie to get on the road to New Hampshire. It was a long drive, but pretty, and I got some local apples from this little farmstand.


Finally, we got to the resort: Mount Washington Resort in the Presidential Range of the Catskills.



The International Monetary Fund was formed in this room in 1944

It was so beautiful: sunny, but cool, with the leaves starting to change. The resort was built in 1902 for rich city folk to escape the summer heat. It felt very grand and old money. (It also looked a little bit like the hotel from "The Shining.") We spent most of the time strolling around the grounds, sitting on the expansive veranda, drinking wine, and eating rich food (lobster!).

Having drinks on the front veranda with the fam before the rehearsal dinner

Saturday picnic lunch on the back veranda, courtesy of the bride and groom's welcome basket

Quick trip up the mountain in the ski lift

How gorgeous is that light?

It was great. Alex's uncle's wedding was lovely, and his family were all very warm and welcoming.

Love this face

Let me tell you, the wine was flowing

Pretty centerpieces and place cards

And the best part...

...white folks dancing! I wish I had captured this better

The beds were so comfortable. And the best part is, there was nothing at all I had to do. No responsibilities. I read the whole 4th book from "The Song of Ice and Fire" in 4 days, thanks to long flights and car trips.

I'm so pleased I was able to stay home and decompress today. I did a couple of errands and a little more unpacking, but all at a relaxed pace. Tomorrow I'm going to hit it a little harder, but today was for settling in emotionally to my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment