Monday, August 6, 2012

What I Did on My Summer Vacation Pt III

The big day dawns! My one responsibility for the birthday party of the century was to make a gluten-free blackberry cobbler for my grandmother (and myself). I made sure to get up early and get bakin'. Normally when I make stuff with fruit, I don't like to add sugar or lemon juice because I don't want to alter the taste, but these blackberries, while big and juicy, weren't winning any prizes for flavor. So I just followed the recipe. I can't remember where I found it, but it called for lemon juice and a vulgar amount of sugar.  The thing that actually sold me on it was the lemon zest. I love lemon zest in pretty much anything. I replaced the flour and leavening with gluten-free baking mix and popped that thing in the oven. Cobbler is so much easier than pie! Now that I think of it, who coined the term "easy as pie?" Pie crust is a pain in the ass! Cobbler may not be as pretty, but it's way less work.

Not so bad lookin' for a cobbler. See more after the jump!


I got a last minute call from my aunt Kathy to see if I could come up with some flowers for centerpieces, so I cut some hydrangeas from the backyard.

They just happen to match the tableclothes nicely!

What a nice set-up!

Cousins

It takes my grandparents a little while to get going in the mornings, so lunch wasn't actually at noon. I took the extra time to sit down with Charlotte and make my granddad a birthday card.


Kathleen, looking lovely

The guests of honor arrived, and we sat down to eat.



Granddad with his grandkids and great grandkids




I'm a big fan of this catered family meal idea. Everybody got to relax and enjoy each other's company, and somebody else cleans up! Yay!

A Granddad-y meal

Birthday cobbler!

MY cobbler! Yum! It turned out amazing.

The man and his clan

Birthday boy!

Kids love cake

Especially this one

Hamish (I think) documents the occasion

Aliens Like Underpants

James leads his granddad around the yard
Charlotte and her brother review the shots from the party

My favorite girls!

My favorite little girl

Here I've gone and gotten long-winded, as usual. Looks like there's going to have to be a Part IV!

1 comment: